Public Hearing: FY22 Transportation Improvement Program
Wednesday, May 18, 2022
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
The Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission (CCRPC) will hold a public hearing on Wednesday, May 18, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81724061519 to consider the following Major Amendments to the FY2022 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP):
Champlain Parkway – Burlington (Project HC001, Amendment FY22-33)
Description of TIP Change: Increase construction amount from $35,000,000 to $62,747,145. This is a 79% increase in project cost which is defined as a Major Amendment according to CCRPC’s TIP Amendment Policy and requires a Public Hearing.
This project will be constructed in two phases. Phase 1 is from Home Avenue to Kilburn Street. Modify the TIP to reflect the following funding schedule for Phase 1:
- FY22- Reduce TIP funds from $9,389,581 to $6,434,148.
- FY23 – Increase TIP funding from $10,000,000 to $14,983,127.
- FY24 – Increase TIP funding from $9,960,419 to $15,302,234
- FY25 – Add $9,320,428. These funds will come from outside CCRPC’s fiscal constraint limit.
Reason for Change: The project received one bid which was approximately 57% over the engineer’s estimate for the work. There were a number of factors that contributed to the significantly higher than estimated bid pricing including the following: infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) is providing additional funding for infrastructure projects throughout the country which is creating an increased demand on contractor services; a small bidding field likely lead to generally higher unit pricing; a surge in energy costs has been seen and is anticipated to continue; the inflation rate in the US was announced to increase to 7.9%; contractor concern about inflation over the life of the project.
Exit 17 Improvements, Colchester (Project BT050, Amendment FY22-34)
Description of TIP Change: Change TIP funding for this project to align with the State FY23 Transportation Capital Program and maintain fiscal constraint. The TIP has construction funds for this project beginning in FY22 and the Capital Program delays construction to begin in FY24. Change the TIP as follows:
- FY22 – Reduce funding from $900,000 to $600,000 for ROW.
- FY23 – The TIP has $15,225,000 but no funds are needed. Transfer $4,983,127 to Champlain Parkway.
- FY24 – Reduce funding from $10,187,145 to $4,000,000. Transfer $5,341,815 to Champlain Parkway.
- FY25 – Add $16,800,000. (Balance of construction funds to be added in FY26).
Bridge 23 on US2, Williston (Project BR067, Amendment FY22-35)
Description of TIP Change: Add a new project to the TIP in FY22 to replace Bridge 23 on US2 over an unnamed tributary with related approach and channel work. This is a Major Amendment according to CCRPC’s TIP Amendment Policy because it is a new project. Add $280,000 for PE in FY22 and $8,000 for right-of-way in FY24. Construction schedule to be determined.