Having safe, adequate, and affordable housing is fundamental to providing a decent quality of life for our residents. The CCRPC analyzes housing trends and forecasts and works with our municipalities to provide and improve housing.
SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON:
BUILDING HOMES TOGETHER »
HOUSING CONVENINGS »
HOUSING RESOURCES »
BUILDING HOMES TOGETHER
The Champlain Housing Trust, Evernorth, and the CCRPC are undergoing a coordinated campaign to increase the housing supply in Chittenden County.
For more information, please visit the Building Homes Together website »
Chittenden County Housing Convenings
Both the ECOS Plan and the Building Homes Together campaign identify an overall housing shortage, and a lack of affordable housing in the County. In order to help address this shortage, CCRPC has been hosting housing convenings/workshops to enable municipalities to share information on the housing tools they’ve been using and considering. Workshop topics have so far included general information sharing, economics of housing, and housing trust funds. Convenings will be held two to three times a year. Information from previous and upcoming convenings is located here.
- Chittenden County Housing Convening | January 30, 2023 | Meeting Agenda » | Meeting Notes » | Meeting Recording » | Meeting Presentation » | City of Burlington Rental Inspection Program Presentation »
- Chittenden County Housing Convening | March 28, 2022 | Meeting Agenda » | Meeting Notes »
- Chittenden County Housing Convening | September 30, 2021 | Meeting Agenda » | Meeting Notes »
- Chittenden County Housing Convening | March 29, 2021 | Meeting Agenda » | Meeting Notes » | Meeting Presentation »
- Chittenden County Housing Convening | November 30, 2020 | Meeting Materials » | Meeting Notes »
- Inclusionary Zoning | April 30, 2019 | Meeting Materials »
- Housing Trust Funds | October 29, 2018 | Meeting Materials »
- Housing Convening Kick-off | April 30, 2018 | Meeting Materials »
- Chittenden County Economics of Housing Summit | January 29, 2018
- Housing Resources Handout
- Video Part 1: Costs of Housing Construction, Economics of Housing Overview | Presentation Slides | Nancy Owens, President of Housing Vermont | Presentation Slides |
- Video Part 2: Economics of Housing Part Two: For Profit Developer Perspective On Development Hurdles | Presentation Slides: Rental Housing and Housing Affordability | Erik Hoekstra and Brad Dousevicz, Redstone
- Video Part 3: Economics of Housing Part Three: Using a limited Equity Model to Overcome Barriers to Home Ownership | Presentation Slides | Amy Demetrowitz, Director of Real Estate Development, Champlain Housing Trust
- Video Part 4: Economics of Housing Part Four: Q&A, Presenters and Audience
CHITTENDEN COUNTY ECOS PLAN CHAPTER 2.5.2 – HOUSING
The ECOS Housing Goal is to increase the opportunities for safe, decent, energy efficient, affordable, accessible and fair housing for all types of households in diverse neighborhoods. See section 2.5.2 – Housing for specific details (pg. 6).
- See the ECOS Chittenden County Housing Needs Assessment (2012) that helped inform this Goal.
CHITTENDEN COUNTY ECOS PLAN HOUSING INDICATORS
Adequate and affordable housing is central to a sustainable community. A healthy community is made up of households with a variety of incomes. Affordable housing is needed to satisfy residents’ wide ranging needs. Lack of affordable housing contributes to many social stresses, including homelessness. Visit the ECOS Housing Scorecard to view specific indicators that track Chittenden County’s housing trends and data.
SUPPORTING THE STEM CLUSTER & YOUNG PROFESSIONALS IN CHITTENDEN COUNTY (JUNE 2016)
Growth in the STEM cluster has been recognized as a key economic development strategy for Chittenden County and Vermont. This white paper explains the important role that the STEM cluster and young professionals play in the county’s economy; examines the current conditions of the STEM cluster and young professionals; explores the building blocks necessary for growing the STEM cluster economy; and offers suggestions for future work that can be undertaken by the CCRPC to help support the STEM economy. Learn More »
CHITTENDEN COUNTY FAIR HOUSING EQUITY ASSESSMENT (2014)
This Fair Housing and Equity Assessment examines the impact of state, local, and regional policies, procedures, and practices on the availability of fair and affordable housing for all people in the county. It also analyzes the impact of private-sector policies and rules. The goal is to identify actions, decisions, policies or omissions that have the effect of restricting housing choice based on one’s membership in a protected class as defined by the federal Fair Housing Act (as amended) or Vermont state statute. Learn More »
2015-2020 STATE HOUSING NEEDS ASSESSMENT & CHITTENDEN COUNTY ANNEX
In 2014, a Vermont Housing Needs Assessment was conducted for the purposes of informing the State’s 5-Year Consolidated Plan for 2015-2019 to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other statewide and county housing and policy decisions. View the Statewide Assessment »
For the first time in 10 years, in addition to the statewide analysis, the report includes county-level housing needs assessments. View the Chittenden County Annex »
VERMONT DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
The Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) coordinates and oversees the implementation of the state’s housing policy, facilitates collaboration among state housing agencies, serves as a resource to housing providers and promotes the production and preservation of housing that is affordable to all.
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING & URBAN DEVELOPMENT (HUD)
HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.
For more information, please contact Taylor Newton, CCRPC Planning Program Manager.
BACK TO TOP ⇑